Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Over-stimulation

Many children on the spectrum are hypersensitive or feel over-stimulated to sounds, touch, taste, movements, smells, etc. As in the case of sensitivity to sound, you may notice children on the autism spectrum who place their hands over their ears. This was my son. He always placed his hands on his ears as if he was hearing someone screeching the chalkboard with their fingernails. (Aaah!) It wasn't all sounds but certain sounds. For instance, he couldn't listen to soft music played in an elevator. He would say, "It's too loud." He hated the bell schedule at school and didn't enjoy listening to the fans cheering at his brother's soccer game. He could however listen to cars driving down the freeway or music played in the car. Whether it was loud or soft, hearing was definitely an issue for my son. To ease his frustration and over-sensitivity, I placed headphones on his ears to lessen the sounds. I also arranged it with the teacher to have Noah place cotton in his ears at certain times of the day (to correspond with the bell schedule).

Over-stimulation, also known as sensory overload, is painful for the autistic child. It is important to identify the triggers to prevent a "meltdown" or an "outburst" from occuring.

To learn more about over-stimulation or sensory overload, I have written the following articles

http://autistic-child-parenting.suite101.com/article.cfm/autism--when-a-child-feels-over-stimulated

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5734754/autism_and_oversensitivity.html?cat=25

2 comments:

  1. Glad I found your site thru Autism Blogger. I am now following you here. I also have a blog at http://parentingaspergers.blogspot.com/ and would like you to come by for a visit and pass the word also. Thank goodness for the internet because support groups are nil where I live. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tasha...I found your blog through Suite 101. I cannot find your contact info, but would like to invite you to check out www.ourjourneythruautism.com and www.sensationalhomeschool.com

    We are seeking an ADHD Editor and/or contributor and based on your work, you would be a good fit. If you are interested, please contact me at http://www.ourjourneythruautism.com/2009/12/contact-us.html

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Tiffani

    ReplyDelete